With a year full of celebratory events marking St. Clair College’s 50th anniversary, there isn’t much time for cooking when John Fairley gets home from work. “Easy is good,” he says. Incorporating fresh, quality ingredients and a dash of spirits, John can whip up dinner “on the spur of the moment” for family and friends. Tunnel Bar-B-Q Steak & Chop Spice rubbed on the steaks enhance the natural flavour of the beef. Balsamic vinegar and sugar combine for a simple glaze that adds pizazz to grilled vegetables. Store-bought angel food cake cut into cubes lays the foundation of the summer strawberry margarita shortcake, wowing everybody.
• 1-1¼ inch thick steak; Porterhouse,
Ribeye, T-Bone or New York
• Tunnel Bar-B-Q Steak and Chop Spice
Preheat searing burner or BBQ as hot as possible. Rub with a generous amount of your favorite Steak and Chop seasoning. Sear about 2 minutes a side to develop a nice crust, then slow cook with indirect heat 10-20 minutes.
Balsamic Grilled Vegetables
• 1 bunch Prosciutto wrapped asparagus
• 3 Tomatoes cut in half
• 1 Vidalia onion cut into rings
Lightly oil, salt and pepper your vegetables. Grill quickly over high heat about 1-2 minutes a side. Plate or platter and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
• 1cup Balsamic vinegar
• ½ cup sugar
Combine and reduce by about half until just slightly syrupy remove for heat cool to room temperature should be thick.
Vidalia and Grapefruit Vinaigrette
• ¼ Vidalia onion grated
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice
• Juice of half lime
• 2-1/2 tablespoons honey
• 2 teaspoons White vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil (grape seed, canola)
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 2 sections pink grapefruit diced fine
Combine all ingredients except the oil in a deep measuring cup. Blend until smooth. Add the oil in a thin steady stream with the blender running on high speed and mix until light. Adjust seasoning and sweetness if needed. Toss greens with dressing and garnish with fresh pink grapefruit sections.
Summer Strawberry Margarita Shortcake
• 1 Angel food cake
• 2 lbs package fresh strawberries, sliced
• 1 oz. Tequila
• 1 oz. Triple sec liqueur
• Juice of 1 lime
• ½ cup sugar (adjust if necessary)
• 2 cups whipping cream, whipped to stiff peaks and sweetened with ¼ cup sugar
• Coarse salt Rim dessert glasses with salt and let dry.
Stir sugar with strawberries until sugar dissolves. Cut angel food cake into large cubes and place some in the glass. Place a small amount of whipping cream onto cake and generously spoon in strawberries and liquid. Top with more whipped cream and garnish with sliced lime and whole strawberries.